Sunday, April 6, 2008

Memory Lane

The cloudless Sunday sends me down memory lane,
A path I walk quite frequently since you have gone away.
I recall the autumn afternoons we spent in the park,
Though always crowded, I could see no one but you.
The days at the lake we watched the breeze skim the water,
The gulls diving for food,
And the sun setting at the water's far edge.
Our love made the days perfect.
At night we'd sit under the stars and talk of
all of our tomorrows, when we could be together,
and only death would be our end.
But death wasn't our end, though I've died a thousand
times since that cold November evening when you
calmly and surely walked out of my life
into your own.
Your last words "I love you" reverberating through
the apartment as you closed the door,
Leaving me with shattered dreams and a longing for the
Love I shall never again obtain
but in my lonely walk
down memory lane.
©Copyright 1975
SLG
All rights reserved. No further use,
reproduction, or distribution in any form,
including print, electronic or otherwise, may bemade without the express permission of the author

No comments: