Sunday, April 6, 2008

At Last You Found Me

As I ponder the verses of my favorite poem by Rod McKuen,
I ask myself -- Did I really know you would find me?
I raced through my teen years believing
there was someone special, someone unique
that would fulfill all my needs
.....but I did not find you.
Once I thought I had found you.....and yes.....
I did love and have been loved by others.....
but I always felt that something was missing
....that there was a void that others along my life's path could not fill
.....no matter how hard they tried
or how desperately I wished they would.
I had almost given up hope of finding you,
I feared my search for you was based on
fairy tale endings and a young girls
hopes and dreams for a love that came with
understanding, patience
....and the ability to fill that void
That forever made me feel incomplete.
In my disappointment....I told myself....
I must be unworthy
.....after all, I had searched for you,
tried to find substitutes for you
....and waited patiently for you to find me.
So I gave up, only
....you did find me and that void is now filled. I am complete.
The unconditional love I knew I could give
and the joy in giving that love fulfills me as nothing ever has.
I am content.....for I know,
if I do live to reach 90 years, as the fortune teller predicted,
when I am old and alone with only
my cats for companionship....
I can take out the memories of time spent with you
....and smile with the feelings of love and contentment,
....and know I once had what most search
a lifetime for and never find.
As Mr. McKuen said:
"It was for you I saved the best for last"
©Copyright 2000
SLG
All rights reserved. No further use,
reproduction, or distribution in any form,
including print, electronic or otherwise, may bemade without the express permission of the author

No comments: