Sunday, March 23, 2008

Nature Calls

Anyone who knows me well, knows how much I enjoy nature and being outdoors. My idea of heaven is sitting under a large oak tree, listening to the melodious sound of the various local birds, noting the diversity of life forms co-existing, and breathing the fresh air. Except for the fact that I enjoy a hot shower on a very regular basis, at least once or twice a day, I think I could live happily in a primitive shelter in the woods or on the side of a mountain somewhere.

Well, this past weekend, I had the opportunity to live my "idea of heaven" for a short period of time. And I guess in a way, extend or expand my definition of heaven. For weeks I had wanted to see the little town of Lafitte during the daytime. It's a quaint little town, though like most small towns now days, it is suffering "growing" pains. The town has still managed to maintain the character that makes small towns so wonderful. I stayed overnight in Lafitte with a friend or boyfriend; I'm not really sure what to call him. I've given up trying to define the relationship and just accept whatever happens.

Sunday morning dawned gray and overcast, very humid with the temperature in the upper 60s, comfortable some would say, but a bit too warm for me. We showered and decided to visit Jean Lafitte National Park to continue the exploration and walk we had begun the afternoon before. We packed a few supplies and started out for the park. When we arrived, it was obvious we would pretty much have the trail to ourselves. We chose the longer trail, though I think he had his doubts as to whether I could make that long of a trek. I explained to him that I had spent hours upon hours roaming through the woods as a kid and even as a teenager. The woods became my refuge from pain, my sanctuary where I could take out my thoughts and examine them. In the woods I could weigh all the factors of a problem and make a decision without interference from the "real world" that I was usually trying to escape if only briefly.

We walked along slowly, usually quietly, trying to catch glimpses of the wild life and enjoy the magnificence of the surroundings. What most people fail to understand is that if you are there to enjoy the wild life, you can't make too much noise, or the wild life won't stay around to be enjoyed. The majestic cypress trees, most with the roots lying on top of the ground, sheltered the fields of palmettos and other species of plant life. It was a wonderful sight to behold. Occasionally the wind would blow through the palmetto leaves and it would sound like a light shower sweeping gently through the park. We walked almost halfway down the trail and decided to stop and take out the wine and snack we had brought. We drank the wine and snacked mostly in silence. There was little need for conversation, we both understood that. We were there to enjoy nature together. I don't know about him, but I have found it difficult to find anyone who understands my passion for nature and the need to sometimes just sit and be absorbed into it. It serves as a method of meditation for some, myself included.

We packed everything back up and continued our hike. As we walked along he suggested that we find a secluded spot for some erotic pleasure. I laughed but I don't remember assenting or dismissing the idea. We reached the end of trail where it looped around and started back to the entrance about the same time I started feeling this minor discomfort. Of course, being a female, and having drunk water from the canteen and wine from the bottle -- I was faced with a dilemma; either rush our return to the entrance and seek restroom facilities or use nature's natural "facilities." Well, rushing back wasn't really an option in my mind; I was enjoying the walk too much for a little inconvenience to get in the way. Little inconvenience, hell, it was a big inconvenience, which any woman who has had the misfortune of needing to use the bathroom in the wilderness can tell you. So we found a large cypress tree, big enough to screen my movements and I proceeded to remove my jeans and panties and use "nature's facilities." It was a combination of embarrassment and comedy. Had it been anyone else, I would have been rolling on the ground with laughter.

Once I was again fully clothed, we proceeded on the return loop. The silence was broken only by the numerous armadillos scrounging through the leaves looking for insects and occasional giggles from thinking about my earlier predicament. I began to think about what he had said earlier about finding a secluded spot. What he did not know, what no one knew, was that was one of my sexual fantasies -- making love in broad daylight, in a secluded area in the woods. I debated with myself, should I say something, was I adventurous enough to follow through? I had jokingly told him earlier that he was "corrupting" me. With him, I seem to have few inhibitions, I can't explain or understand it. I mulled over these questions for a few minutes, very few, I'm ashamed to admit, and I finally asked him if he was going to find a secluded spot. I didn't have to elaborate; he knew what I meant.

We had not progressed very far when he found a very large cypress with a small clearing on the side away from the trail. We had brought a large towel to sit upon (or so I had thought) when we stopped to drink the wine. The towel was spread out on a relatively level spot. What followed is almost like a dream in my memory, some moments being hazy and others being intensely vivid. I don't recall much foreplay; nature had provided that with the setting and the natural chemistry between us. And I won't describe the details of what transpired it was too special for me to share with anyone but him. But we did made love under that big cypress tree not too very far from the trail on which we had been walking. And the reality surpassed anything I could have possibly fantasized. Euphoric is the only word that even comes close to describing the act of making love with him under that cypress tree in all the wonder and glory of nature. Needless to say, I now have a second definition for heaven.

Driving home from Lafitte that afternoon, I was in a daze. I was still reeling from the experience and a bit shocked that I had actually acted out one of my fantasies. He does seem to have some "influence" over me. I tend to go with my feelings and desires and yes, lately I'm surprised quiet frequently at my action -- surprised and shocked, but with no regrets, none at all. As I pulled into the driveway at home, I remember thinking that I had read a story he had written about a fantasy he had that had something to do with a shower…and I just smiled to myself.

©Copyright 2000
SLG
All rights reserved. No further use,
reproduction, or distribution in any form,
including print, electronic or otherwise, may be
made without the express permission of the author.

No comments: